Thursday, April 12, 2012

Broiled Grapefruit

I am sharing a rather simple recipe today, as some requested 'how to boil' grapefruit on my earlier post featuring granola. This version actually changed my appetite for grapefruit as I thought I didn't like it-- it has a very distinct and strong flavor, almost a little bitter in my opinion... but trying this, broiling, I found it very yummy. And now I also enjoy it juiced in my smoothies, as it is a great health food. About half a grapefruit has 52 calories, is rich in fiber, high in vitamin A and C, and a good source of potassium.

Be sure to wash grapefruits under cool water before eating in order to get rid off any dirt or pesticide residues-- even though you don't eat the peel, but cutting into an unwashed fruit, it may transfer dirt or bacteria  into the flesh.When buying pink grapefruit, look for fruit that is heavy for its size and avoid fruit with soft spots or mushy patches. Grapefruit that is rough in texture or wrinkly will likely have thick skin, thus less actual fruit to eat.You can store grapefruit on the kitchen counter if it will be eaten within a week, but store in the refrigerator for up to three weeks.


Ingredients: 2 serving
1 grapefruit
Tbsp granola*
2 tsp brown sugar or syrup/ honey (I use agave)
Sprinkle of cinnamon and/or ginger


Directions:
Wash grapefruit. Cut in half and save the other half for later or double it and serve it to someone else or yourself :) If the half seems to be lop-sided and won't stand on its own, you can always cut the bottom skin off a bit to help balance. Next I like to take a knife and loosen the ends from the skin (makes for easier eating later), simply cut through the place where the skin and flesh meet. Sprinkle cinnamon over the top and sugar or syrup. Place under broil (I use my toaster oven) for about 5 min or until the edges get golden brown. But be careful to not let it burn as broilers can be tricky-- make sure you keep an eye on it.. When finished add the granola on top and use a spoon to eat. I simply love the warmth from broiling the grapefruit, the crunch from the granola, and the sweet and citrus flavors that meld together.

*If you don't have granola on hand, you can simply use oats instead. Just place them on the grapefruit before broiling (I like to do this first and then add agave to kind of soak them). If you really want too, you can add coconut flakes, but make sure its not until towards the end as coconut burns much faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always love hearing from you, feel free to leave a comment!