Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Creamed Cornbread Muffins


 School started back up this week, so yesterday I got to meet all my new students. I am teaching 4 different English classes this term, which they are all a pleasure and it was exciting to see the personality of the classes. I am looking forward to seeing how the students improve upon their skills and to see what they are capable of. 

On another note, surprisingly,  I have found it rather difficult to find a really great corn muffin recipe as often some are too dry, crumbly, tasteless, bitter... and I am always trying out new recipes to find the perfect one. While this one was scrumptious and hard to eat just one, I still want to find a perfect more cake-like recipe. This time around I simply made some corn bread though just because I had a can of cream of corn in the cupboard I wanted to use up. Honestly, I usually don't like to use canned items, but this was an exception... I hate putting things to waste. But I am sure glad I did use it, as this cornbread recipe really hit the spot. It was fluffy, but dense, moist, flavorful, and had little pieces of corn, which gives them an interesting combinations of texture. This corn bread muffin was especially delightful paired with honey.
Creamed Cornbread Muffin: (makes 12)
Adapted from: Jules Food

Ingredients:
1/2 cup whole wheat flour 
1/2 oat flour
1 cup yellow corn meal
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 Tbsp honey
15 oz can of creamed corn
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup apple sauce


Directions:
Preheat oven to 425F degrees. Grease or line muffin tin (also can be made in a pan). Whisk together flour dry ingredients in a bowl. In a separate bowl whisk wet ingredients together. Slowly add the wet mixture to the dry, being careful not to over mix, just until thoroughly combined. Let batter sit for 5 minutes and then pour into muffin pan, each muffin almost reaching the top. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and toothpick comes out slightly clean, you want to keep the muffins moist. Serve with honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always love hearing from you, feel free to leave a comment!