Friday, November 2, 2012

Roasted Sunflower Seed Butter


When my twin sister came to visit in September, she brought something for me that would change my life... Sunflower Seed Butter! Being allergic to all types of nuts, I have never been able to enjoy that luxury of a thick, creamy, delicious, flavorful, salty and slightly sweet spread. My first spoonful was seriously so delightful and has literally not stopped, I am addicted-- I love it! I like it on anything, especially my oats, but even on my yams, raw vegetables, bread slices, and of course by the spoonful. The only problem is that is can be expensive to buy it in the stores and well also we don't get it here in La Paz, so the only solution is to make it yourself. However, I actually enjoy it more homemade  a little thicker, chunkier, and well a lot less expensive  All you need is sunflower seeds and a food processor, although its fun to add more for flavoring. 
"Sunflower seeds are a very good source of vitamin E. In addition, sunflower seeds are a good source of manganese, magnesium, copper, selenium, phosphorus, vitamin B1, vitamin B6 and folate." [source]


 Sunflower Seed Butter:


Ingredients:
3 cups hulled sunflower seeds
3/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tsp sweetener (I used honey)
1/2 tsp vanilla (optional)

Directions:
Heat a large pan on the stove, toss sunflower seeds in the hot pan for a couple minutes until they turn a golden brown, but keep them moving so they don’t burn. Place them in a food processor, add salt. Sunflower seeds need to process for quite some time, about ten to 15 minutes, so be patient as eventually they release their oils. As the is processes the seed powder will turn into a creamy texture. While processing, you may need to stop in between and scrape down the sides and let it process again. Keep processing and watch as more oils are released, until the mixture is finally turning together and starting to reflect nut butter. At this point, add in sweetener, and slowly add in olive oil as it spins-- you can add more depending desired consistency. Also add vanilla optional vanilla if using. Give it a whirl until you have reached a nice thick, creamy, and mouthwatering seed butter. Enjoy, serve sparingly as it will go fast ;) 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always love hearing from you, feel free to leave a comment!