These muffins are bit more cake-like, but have a healthier twist, so you can eat them for breakfast too. They are a soft & fluffy cake, but protein & nutrient heavy, using Greek yogurt and chia seeds to the batter.
I love that the chia seeds give these muffins a poppy seed look. But these sure are some delicious citrus muffins that won't disappoint.
Like I mentioned earlier in a previous post, our grocery stores are just brimming with mandarins and well, so is my refrigerator... so I thought I'd make some muffins using some up paired with cornmeal, a perfect match. Surely you could use any orange you have on hand, even add some blueberries in there if you would like. I just made a batch using 6 muffins so we won't b tempted to eat all of them, however, these were gone too fast, you may think about doubling this recipe-- wish I had ;)
Citrus Chia Cornmeal Muffins with a Honey Citrus Yogurt Glaze: (6 servings)
adapted from: FageUSA.com
1/4 cup + 2 T sugar
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1 egg, lightly whisked
1 chia egg (1 T chia seeds + 3 T water)
zest of an orange (I used mandarin)
2 T coconut oil, melted or vegetable oil
1/4 orange juice, fresh (I used mandarin)
3/4 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1-2 T honey
2 T orange juice, fresh (I used mandarin)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees and line muffin tin with paper liners.
- Make chia egg in a small bowl combining chia seeds & water, stir, and let sit.
- Prepare all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl, mixing thoroughly. In another medium/large bowl, add eggs, yogurt, oil, & juice. Whisk until everything is mixed. Slowly add the dry mix to the wet, stirring simultaneously. Stir until just combined.
- Evenly disperse the batter between muffin holes, almost until the top of the liner. The batter will bake above the pan, but this gives it a nice "muffin top" or you can opt to make an extra muffin.
- Place in the oven & bake for 20 minutes or until tops are golden brown & knife comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, remove & let completely cool before topping with glaze.
- For the glaze, simply mix the ingredients together & keep in the fridge until using.