This cake is absolutely divine and actually happens to be the husband's favorite. This by all means is NOT healthy, but its alright to indulge a little... although beware it's really hard to stop at just one piece, it's that good! This cake is SUPER easy to make as well, just use pre-packaged cake-mix & some canned ingredients, & the magic all happens in the oven-- seriously, the layers flip while cooking in the oven. This gem will be sure to impress all your guests, they will by dying for the recipe. My beloved mother-in-law gave me this recipe (thank you Rocio!) & is a definite keeper for special occasions. Originally it is cooked in a bundt cake pan, which makes it look gorgeous, but I unfortunately don't have one yet, so reallyany pan will work just fine just make sure its large enough. Your life will change after you take a bite of this slice of heaven!
1/2 bottle of Cajeta or Caramel sauce
1 box of Chocolate Cake Mix
+ ingredients listed on box
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla
Baking Pan: 11x15, 9x11, bundt pan, 2 round pans
Butter (greasing the pan)
- Preheat Oven to 370F degrees. Grease baking pan very well (this is crucial to get the cake out of the pan when flipped).-- I Used 11x15 which gave a more flat cake, but it is really r won preference.
- Prepare the boxed cake mix as directed on the package. Set aside.
- In a blender, pour flan ingredients & blend on a light/medium speed until thoroughly mixed (30 sec or so).
- Pour cajeta/caramel sauce into greased baking dish & make sure it is evenly spread across the entire pan. Next add chocolate cake mix, gently pouring on top of caramel sauce & again spreading evenly. Now, very CAREFULLY, GENTLY, & SLOWLY pour flan mixture on top of cake mixture trying not to break the surface of the chocolate cake layer-- this allows very a smooth top without dents in the flan when cooked. The flan mixture should easily spread across the entire pan with no problem. Note: in my picture you can see a few dents this is due to pouring the flan-- probably the hardest part about the cake.
- Place in the oven carefully & let bake for 45 minutes or until a utensil comes out clean. When you check on it, you will see that the chocolate cake layer is now on the bottom, like magic!
- Remove cake & allow to sit for 15 minutes before removing from pan. Gently & quickly remove cake from pan by flipping it over onto another plate, should come out with ease depending how well you greased it.
- You can let cool in the refrigerator until serving or serve warm-- my favorite is warm so I always heat up a slice for a few seconds. YUM!
- Store in the refrigerator.