I figured these would be the perfect Saint Patrick's day recipe as its GREEN. The great thing about them though, is its not food coloring, but all natural & healthy! These pancakes make you feel like you are indulging but really you are fueling your body with good for you nutrients that will satisfy you all morning long. Bonus is that you get a serving of vegetables to start your day off too! Kids will definitely devour them and you won't even be able to taste the spinach whatsoever! The banana masks the taste while simultaneously making these healthy pancakes sweet. I crave these pancakes and don't just eat them for St. Patty's day, its a regular ove here.
Also, last year I posted the history behind Saint Patrick's day-- what its all about, why is it celebrated, etc. It is pretty interesting, check it out HERE.
Whole Grain Green Pancakes:
(serves 2 or makes 6-7 pancakes)
1/3 cup oats
2 T flax seeds
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
2 handfuls of spinach
1 tsp vanilla
- In blender or food processor combine oats & flax, pulsing until you reach a flour like consistency. Remove from container & set aside.
- Place banana, vanilla, spinach, and eggs into blender, mix until thorough combined & is smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients into blender & pulse until mixed.
- Heat a large skillet over low heat & add a tiny drizzle of coconut oil. Pour about 1/4 cup size batter into pan, creating small pancakes. Let cook for about 1 minute, flip when edges have firmed up & let other side cook.
- Top with your favorite things-- my favorite: Greek yogurt, Sunflower seed butter, sprinkle of cinnamon.