These are a perfect meal as it includes a a classic Italian favorite but in an easier and individual fashion, plus easier to freeze to use for later. These are still filled with those delicious flavors of a lasagna, but this makes for a fun new way to serve it & especially helps for you to not eat too much! I made this recipe just using the basics, but feel free to spice it up with adding in different vegetables, cheeses, herbs etc. It's also nice because you can cater the rolls to your entire family if perhaps one person doesn't like ricotta, just stuff it with a different mixture while still serving the classic to easily satisfy everyone's needs.
Lasagna Roll-ups: (9 servings)
9 lasagna noodles
1 jar of red pasta sauce (to top)
1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese, shredded
Ricotta Mixture:15 oz low-fat ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup chopped spinach
salt and fresh pepper
1/2 lb lean ground beef
1 small onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1-2 tomatoes, diced
1/4-1/2 cup tomato paste
2 tsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
Pinch of garlic or garlic salt
- Boil a large pot of water to cook noodles about 5-7 minutes, until soft enough, but not thoroughly cooked, in order to roll without breaking.
- Chop ingredients necessary. In a large skillet, heat olive oil in pan & toss in onions, garlic, and tomatoes. Let cook for about 5 minutes until onions are translucent. Add spices, let rest for 1 minute. Add meat and let cook until browned. Combine with tomato paste and let sit until thick.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta, spinach, Parmesan, 1 egg, spices, until thoroughly mixed.
- Place noodle on surface, layer with cheese mixture first, then meat mix, and roll.
- You can either place on a lined pan to place in the freezer for an 1hr to set, then place in plastic bags to save and use for later.
- Place in a baking sheet with a thin layer of sauce at the bottom, lasagna roll, more sauce, and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top. Bake in oven at 375 F degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Note: be sure to cover roll with sauce completely while baking so the ends are soft & not crunchy.